Monday, June 16, 2014

October = Celebration!!

October gave us MANY reasons to celebrate!  Not only does October contain both our birthdays, but this year, we had an extra special reason to celebrate.  Keep reading to find out.....



Weekend of October 4-6 - Camping in Bardstown

We try to take a yearly trip with Brandon's sister and her husband.  We love to camp with them!

Friday night we got all set up.


Saturday morning we had an awesome breakfast!  Baggie-Omelets boiled in water....

Sausage cooked in tin foil over hot coals.....

And Kim cooked biscuits in her dutch over over hot coals - she was so proud!!!




Our next stop was Barton, a local distillery, for a tour. 






Unfortunately by the time the tour was over, there was a gushing downpour and our campsite started to get soaked!


We tried to wait out the storm, even going to Wal-mart and amusing ourselves with funny hats.









But we finally conceded to the rain (which wasn't going to stop for hours) and packed up our stuff.

We went to Chili's for lunch.


And, not wanting to cut our time together short, we decided to head back to Cville with Kim & Billy and continued our camp-out at Brandon's parents house.

We used the food we would have for camping and made the most of it!



Brandon's mom even got her first S'more!
Even though we got rained out of actually camping all weekend, it turned out to be fun just the same!


Saturday Night - October 12 - Date Night

We took a scenic drive to a nearby restaurant.

Hall's on the River has deck seating that is very nice for summer nights.

We only went for dessert and had a yummy apple crisp with ice cream.


Also on this night, we had friends from Lville stay the night with us.  Bennifer, as we call them - Ben & Jennifer - were in town for the UK-Alabama football game (as you can see they are a house divided) and so we got to visit with them the next morning since they got in late from the game.



Weekend of October 18-20 - Let the Birthday Celebrations Begin!

Brandon had multiple surprises up his sleeve for the weekend.  My birthday is on the 27th, but he started the celebration a week early.

Friday night October 18 - The first surprise!  He would only tell me what we were doing as we were doing it.  All I knew was that I was supposed to dress up.  :)

Our night started downtown at one of our favorite local eateries - Saul Good.




And the big treat and surprise of the night was seeing a play at the Opera House!

I was so excited as I had never seen Les Miserables before - or been to the Opera House for that matter!

It's a gorgeous place and the play was wonderful!!!




Saturday October 19 - the second surprise was a short road trip to see the class 4A High School Marching Band Semi-Finals!

We're both former marching band geeks and so this was a fun trip for us both!


This ad in the program made us laugh!

Unfortunately after sitting out in the cold for several hours, we came home to a house with no heat! And it would take quite a while to get it fixed, having to go back & forth a few times with the home warranty people.



Weekend of October 25-27 - Lville Birthday Weekend

We went to visit my parents for our birthdays!

Some of the family came over, including my cousin Jamie & his fiancee Heather....

......my Mamaw (and of course my parents)....

....and my Granny & Grandpa.


After a bit of birthday celebrating with cake & ice cream, it was time to watch the Red Sox play in the World Series!  We also played cards and just enjoyed lots of quality time together.




Wednesday October 30 - Brandon's Birthday!

On the evening of Brandon's birthday, his parents came in town and we all went to dinner

Then we came back to our house for yummy pumpkin pie, made by Brandon's mom.

And we exchanged gifts - here's what I got Brandon....

.....and here's what he got me (including the surprises from the weekend before).

I was in major need of new house shoes - can't you tell?



Little did Brandon know (or myself until that day), but I had a surprise for him in store too! 

During my lunch break that day, I had taken a pregnancy test and it was positive!!!!  I had to hold my little secret in the entire rest of the day at work and through dinner & dessert with Brandon's parents.  They left around 10:00pm or so and I had already planned how I would tell Brandon.


While he was downstairs cleaning up, I ran upstairs and got my surprise ready.  When he came upstairs to the kitchen, I told him I had one more thing for his birthday - that I had made him something sweet and it was in the oven.  He looked at me like he couldn't possibly eat another bite of food, but obliged and looked in the oven just the same.

Here's what he saw:


It took a second or two for him to register what he was looking at.  He said his first thought was "that's not sweet."  He looked at the bun and then at me and back at the bun and back at me, at which point I started shaking my head yes - and then he *got* it!

We hugged and I cried and we were both in disbelief!  

I had seen a cute idea on Pinterest to take a picture of the bun from inside the oven, so we did just that and planned to use it to surprise our family later.

I couldn't have asked for a better day to find out and be able to tell Brandon that he's going to be a Dad!!  The Lord has blessed us beyond measure and we feel so humbled to be parents soon!


As if Brandon's birthday couldn't get any better - after celebrating our fun baby news, we settled into our bed to watch the World Series (still with no heat in our house! - note the quilt on top of our bed).  And the cherry on top of it all was that my team - The Boston Red Sox - went on to win the World Series that night!  :)



Halloween

We sat on our porch and passed out candy, but didn't get that many Trick or Treaters.  We were still eating Halloween candy for months afterwards!



One last birthday celebration - I had arranged to meet Brandon at his favorite Mexican restaurant and have his co-workers show up as a surprise.





So, yeah - LOTS of celebrating in October!!  :)

No comments: