Monday, January 18, 2010

European Adventure Recap - Lunch in Paris

Saturday October 24, 2009
Paris, France

We walked down the street our hotel was on and stopped at one of the first restaurants we came to (You can see our wonderful waitress waving in this photo!)

The inside was quaint and we settled into a table and started trying to decipher the menu.


With some coaching from the waitress - whom Shannon was actually able to communicate some in Spanish with - we ordered Couscous (even though neither of us really knew what that was!)



She brought us some water too - I love that it was served in a bottle, it reminds me of how my mom will serve water out of a carafe at home.


Blogger turned my picture sideways, but here's the Couscous.  It's this grainy stuff (think cornmeal consistency) with chickpeas on top.

The waitress instructed us to pour this soupy mixture (with carrots and potatoes) over the Couscous....

....and add some meat to it as well (although we both steered clear of the stuff on the left).

So here's the final outcome after everything is mixed together:

The Couscous was surprisingly YUMMY!  We both ate until we were stuffed!  I wanted to keep eating because it tasted so good, but I think I would have exploded if I had.

Two tables over was a trio of older gentlemen playing cards and having some drinks.  They seemed pretty oblivious to Shannon and myself even though we were the only other people in the restaurant.


Before heading out of the restaurant, we inquired about a "toilette" and were directed down the stairs to the basement.  I love the sign on the door for "Women."

This picture shows the shared sink and the steps leading back up to the restaurant.  Don't you love the retro wall coverings?

Here are a few close-ups...

Groovy huh?

No comments: