Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Computer Woes



Last Thursday, my computer crashed - the hard drive went berserk and wouldn't do a thing.  It started shutting everything down, hiding all my files, telling me it was out of memory, giving me warnings about temperature & the speed of rotation....lots of crazy stuff!

It was all of a sudden too.  I had no previous warnings, it wasn't doing anything 'iffy' prior to.....it just simply crashed.

The unfortunate part, is that it had been August since I had backed up any files or photos (and most of the last few months I've been scanning and scanning things & saving them to my computer).  But it had been 2009 (!) since I had last backed up my iTunes!

Luckily (and seriously by the grace of our awesome God), I was able to run my computer in 'safe mode' and grab my files & photos (so I didn't loose anything there) and Brandon was later able to copy my iTunes (the entire folder) off to his hard drive (so nothing lost there either!!).

The hard drive was completely shot though, and after getting all my stuff off, we went to Best Buy and purchased a new hard drive (much cheaper than replacing the entire computer).

Over the weekend, Brandon installed the new hard drive and I began to put all my programs back onto my computer, installing them one at a time.  Some I had to re-download from the web, some I had product disks for from when I had purchased them. 

As of last night, I finally got the computer back to where it was before the crash.

Moral of the story - BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER FREQUENTLY!!!  Fortunately, I married a techie kind of guy who is well versed in computers or I would have lost everything I hadn't backed up.

No comments: