Sunday, July 13, 2008

My First Post

So here it is. I'm officially a blogger. Like many others, I decided to start a blog as a way to document my life, to share about what I'm learning and what I'm involved in, and as a way for friends and family to stay connected with me. Hopefully it will be something that I keep up with pretty regularly and hopefully one or two people will actually read it. :) So for my first blog, I thought I'd just share about myself a little. I wanted to share maybe some things that people don't know about me. So here are the top ten things that you may not know about me that seemed fun to put in my first blog...

1. I'm laid back, but motivated; adventurous, but not a thrill-seeker; outgoing, but reserved; smart, but not a brainiac; creative, but not abstract; continually on the move, but a good listener; fun, but not crazy; organized, but messy.

2. I like old black and white movies. My mom and I used to watch these together a lot. There’s something nostalgic and classy about them. So different from today’s movies.

3. I have a great appreciation for Jazz music. My high school band director had lots of records (yes, records) that he played over the speaker in the band room all the time…guys like Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Maynard Ferguson. We even played jazz tunes in our marching band.

4. I’ve recently really gotten into reading. For whatever reason I never enjoyed reading before now. But I have this new found love for it and find myself up til all hours of the night with a book in my hand.

5. I really like to work with my hands, creating something or building something or painting something or sewing something. If I could, I’d make a living just by selling stuff I’ve made. I have a hard time sitting still (which works great with my 40 hour a week desk job), so when I get home in the evenings I am always working on some kind of project. I have discovered that I am interested in so many things that there’s not enough hours in the day or months in the year to try them all. I want to learn how to paint, how to make clothes, how to crochet more than just a scarf, how to change a flat tire on my car. I want to travel the globe, learn new languages, learn about geography and cultures, get a stamp on my passport. I want to learn to play guitar, swing dance, water ski. I want to write a book, start a business, run a marathon, go camping for the first time. The list could go on and on. I have been exploring my own curiosities lately and have been learning a lot about myself in the process. I’m a lot more inquisitive than I used to be.

6. I would love, love, love to live in a studio apartment. I love the idea that everything is in one room. I would want a big wall of windows on one side that maybe has a nice view of something. It would be cool to live in the heart of a downtown city somewhere.

7. If I could pick one “super power” to have (and not necessarily one to fight crime or something), I would want the ability to eat anything I wanted and never gain weight. It’s no secret that I like to eat, so how wonderful would it be to eat anything at all and not have to worry about it adding on poundage??

8. I have this little redneck dream. I would love to get an RV and drive across the country. I think it would be cool to spend 3 months or more on the road…exploring, photographing, discovering. One of my goals is to visit all 50 states by the time I’m 30. I’m about half way there, but I’ve got less than a year and a half to go….and with the crazy gas prices I’m not sure I’ll make it to them all by then, but hopefully soon.

9. I look forward to being a wife and a mother one day. I am very content (most times) where I am in my life right now and where God has me, but I think one day when I get to be a wife and a mom that I will learn so much more about myself and about my relationship with Jesus. I don’t think right now that I am able to comprehend quite what unconditional love is. I know what it means, but I think having a husband and children will show me so much more of what it really is and show me so much more of who God is and the way He loves us. I look forward to Him teaching me many things through my children and by being a help-mate to my husband.

10. I am putting my house up for sale. For quite some time now, I have felt God leading me away from Louisville. I think I’ve probably drug my feet a little bit out of fear, but I have kept moving in that direction regardless. Sometimes I feel like I can’t grow up here. I’m stuck in this little world of Louisville. And while it’s not a bad little world by any means, I just think it’s time to challenge myself in new ways, to discover, to learn, to grow. I’ve always been Brad’s little sister, Robert and Cindy’s daughter….and I love that, don’t get me wrong, but I need to find who I am aside from being someone’s sister and daughter. My greatest desire in life is to become what God wants me to become and I think this is all just part of the journey. I’m excited for this next chapter in life and can’t wait to see where God leads me!

So there it is, 10 more things you didn't know about me. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

LaRessia said...

Well Well Mel!! I read your blog. I love reading blogs. I was really excited to read yours. I think it is great that you are trying to figure out who you are. Most of the stuff you wrote I seen in you a long time ago. I don't know if I have ever told you, but I admire you for all the things you have been able to do! I think it is so fascinating what you are capable of. You are such a strong and independent individual. I wish I had some of your strength. I hope that when you leave Louisville you will find what it is that you are searching for!!! By the way, where do you think you are gonna go?

Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogging world!

Nice first post.

Where do you think you're headed once you sell your house in Louisville?

Anonymous said...

Accordingly I say to YOU, Keep on asking, and it will be given YOU; keep on seeking, and YOU will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to YOU. For everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking it will be opened. Indeed, which father is there among YOU who, if his son asks for a fish, will perhaps hand him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he also asks for an egg, will hand him a scorpion? Therefore, if YOU, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to YOUR children, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!”

Mel said...

Not sure of the where part just yet. I've got a few different places in mind and just trying to listen to the Lord on which one to pick. I'll keep you informed though when I make a decision.