Thursday, May 7, 2009

LEED Certification

I'm studying for a test right now that when/if I pass, I will get to add "LEED AP" behind my name. There's a big push in my industry right now to "go green" and this is one way to ensure that buildings are more "green" than they would have otherwise been. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. Basically you can earn "LEED Credits" for your building and depending on how many of those credits you get, your building can be certified with a LEED rating. So, I am studying to take the test that will make me a LEED AP (Accredited Professional)....which I guess will mean that I will be qualified to figure out if a building can earn LEED credits. On another note about Energy and Efficiency, the firm that I work for has designed the first "Net-zero" school in the Nation! (Which basically means that it creates it's own energy and doesn't use any extra energy). It's been pretty neat to be a small part of that process (being the peon at work, I only get small parts)....but still pretty neat that my firm will get recognition for this. Here's some more about our Net-zero School: http://www.bizlex.com/Articles-c-2009-03-03-85395.113117_Kentuckys_NetZero_Triumph.html

No comments: