Thursday, January 29, 2009

An Icy Start to 2009

Where do I begin? Four months ago us Kentuckians survived Hurricane Ike...that seems like a mere hiccup compared to what was dumped on Kentucky last week. It all started last Monday with about 5 inches of Snow; Tuesday brought Freezing Rain which turned the Ville into something reminiscent of where Superman is from; and then Wednesday brought about 4 more inches of snow on top of the ice. This combination of precipitation literally shut down just about the entire state! The ice and snow were too much for most trees and power lines. There were tree limbs down literally every corner you turned. Just about everybody I know lost power and were without it for several days. While most people finally have power back, it could be up to another 2 weeks before all the power is restored. Some people didn't even have water! While my electricity was out for about 6 days with Ike, this winter storm only knocked it out for about 4 days....thank the Lord! I was very fortunate to be able to stay with friends and my parents and not have to battle the frigid temps in my house without heat. The lowest the temperature got in my house was in the 40's....brrr! I'm so thankful that I didn't have to sleep there! My power was turned back on Saturday night, but I still slept in the warmth of my parents living room (their power was out too but we all camped out in front of the fire place at night!). When I went home Sunday, the furnace had kicked on and heated the place up to a lovely 60 degrees. The floors were still FREEZING since my house sits on a concrete slab, but those have since warmed back up to normal too. I'll add some pictures from the ordeal when I get a chance.

No comments: