Tuesday, May 4, 2010

European Adventure Recap - Random Outdoor Bird and Flower Market

October 25, 2009
Paris, France

After leaving the Sacre Coeur, we hopped on the train and got off near Notre Dame.  The first thing we came to, was this bizarre open-air Bird Market.


Apparently, this is usually a Marché aux Fleurs (Flower Market), but every Sunday, it is transformed - into the Marché aux Oiseaux (Bird Market) complete with birds of all colors!


I don't know what kind of bird this is?

Doves....

Pigeons....

Some kind of Chicken??  Or maybe a pheasant?

Rachel and I enjoyed seeing the bunnies they had for sale too.
(Rachel is Shannon's Boyfriend, Mike's, brother's wife's sister-in-law....follow that?  She was studying for a semester near Paris, so she met up with us for a day!)

Chipmunks too! 
These little guys were so crazy! Here's a link to a video I took of the chipmunks - it's really cute!



I have no idea how they catch these to get them in the cages, but they did it!
A few hamsters too

This is quite possibly one of the funniest things I've ever seen - a leash for a rabbit?  Seriously?  I think if I was driving down the road and I went past someone out walking their rabbit, I would have to pull over so I didn't wreck from laughing so hard.


Oh wait - maybe this is the funniest thing I've ever seen - a leash for your guinea pig....because having a rabbit on a leash just isn't quite ridiculous humiliating enough for some people?


A few beautiful remnants of the Flower Market (see they like Mums in the fall in Paris too!  Oh how I love fall!!.....in Paris!!)

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire (doesn't quite have the same ring does it?)  There were folks there with a fire blazing in the trash can (sitting in the shopping cart) roasting chestnuts and selling them.  I wasn't in the mood, or I might have tried them.  They smelled good anyway.

No comments: